The research project “Social Power Plus: We are the energy-saving foxes” of the two universities of applied sciences ZHAW (Winterthur) and SUPSI (Ticino) launches a regional energy-saving challenge during a one-year test phase and provides participants with an informative app. The challenge is being run in cooperation with the three utilities EKS, Stadtwerk Winterthur and TB Wil. 100 participating households can participate from each region. There is no cost to participate.
The participants will learn a lot about their own energy consumption and possible savings potentials and will give their feedback on the use of the app after the competition phase. Afterwards, the energy saving effects of the app use and the energy saving challenge will be analysed.
Procedure of the energy saving challenge
- September, October, November 2021: Registration phase for participating households from the customer areas of EKS, Stadtwerk Winterthur and TB Wil.
- November and December 2021: Installation of a sensor next to the electricity meter at the participants’ homes in Schaffhausen.
- February, March, April 2022: active usage phase of the app with challenges and regional competition, two online surveys at the beginning and end of the usage phase
- May 2022 to January 2022: continued voluntary use of the app, final online survey in January 2022
- January 2022 to June 2022: evaluation of app and energy saving challenge by research team
Further information, participation requirements and registration can be found here.